Discussion on the new STEM school in Adams County School District 50 continues as the plan for the school begins to takes shape. Board members and …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution in 2022-2023 of $50 or more, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access includes access to all websites and online content.
Discussion on the new STEM school in Adams County School District 50 continues as the plan for the school begins to takes shape.
Board members and future Science Technology Engineering and Math principal Anthony Matthews discussed school size and grade levels, among other things, during the Nov. 13 board study session.
Matthews recommended a build-out of a total of 300 students, beginning with 200 in 2013-14 school year.
The number will increase to 250 students in the 2014-15 school year, followed by the final increase to 300 in the 2015-16 school year.
Matthews also recommended the school be a third through eighth grade school, beginning with only third through sixth grade during the first year, followed by a grade increase in the next two years.
He said it’s important for students to be complete STEM students before reaching high school, therefore beginning with sixth grade as the top grade is appropriate.
The board also discussed possible enrollment strategies.
Matthews said he is looking at accepting 60 percent of students who are currently enrolled in the district and leaving the other 40 percent open to students who live in the district but have chosen to go to school elsewhere.
“We have lost some of our students to other districts and this is an effort to bring some of them back to the district,” he said.
“There is definitely a demand for this kind of school, and we are excited that we can provide another option for our students and parents. We have already gotten inquiries from parents who want to learn more about the school.”
The STEM school will be housed in the former Crown Pointe Academy Charter School, at 72nd Avenue and Irving Street in Westminster.
Approval of the location was done at the Oct. 23 board meeting.
The building underwent a major renovation that added new classrooms and a first class gymnasium when it housed Crown Pointe.
“Part of why this location is at the top is because of the larger classrooms, the ability to build labs and have higher ceilings to work with,” said school board member Larry Valente.
“It’s also central in the district and does have air conditioning, which makes things a lot nicer. It’s actually in really good shape.”
Matthews and other administrators are diligently working on the details of the new STEM school and will present more information during another study session on Dec. 4.
The public is welcome to attend the study sessions.
For more information, visit www.adams50.org.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.